What a headache! A clogged pressure washer gun tip can reduce the pressure of the water and makes it difficult to clean surfaces effectively. Here are the general steps to follow to unclog a pressure washer gun tip:
- Turn off the pressure washer and disconnect it from the power source.
- Locate the nozzle tip on the end of the gun. This is typically a small, removable piece that can be screwed on or off (found on lower-end units or European models) or removed simply by pulling back the quick-connect head to release the tip (higher-end units )
- Remove the nozzle tip by unscrewing or pulling back the quick connect found at the end of the gun
- Inspect the nozzle tip for any debris or clogs that may be blocking the water flow.
- Use a small brush, straightened paperclip, or sewing needle to gently remove any debris or clogs from the nozzle tip. Ensure it’s small enough to comfortably go through the nozzle’s hole or you may damage the nozzle’s tip.
- It’s always a good idea to run the nozzle under running water to ensure all the remaining bits and pieces of debris have been removed. This saves time from repeating the processes in the event you may have missed some.
- Reinstall the nozzle tip back onto the gun, making sure it’s securely in place. For a quick connect end, ensure the nozzle and head are fully back to the normal position, or you could have a flying nozzle that could result in injury or damage to your surroundings.
- Turn on the pressure washer and test the water pressure to see if the clog has been removed.
- If the water pressure is still low, try cleaning the nozzle tip again, or try a different nozzle tip to see if that improves the water pressure.
Troubleshooting: Quick connect tip not releasing
This is generally due to pressure built up between the gun and the tip. This makes it nearly impossible to remove. If a quick connect refuses to come release, carefully try to lessen the pressure by using two wrenches to unscrew the quick connect male or female ends. This generally does the trick!
It’s important to consult the manual of the specific pressure washer you have to check the specific instructions and precautions, and always wear protective gear while doing any type of maintenance.