Here are some of the most common reasons homeowners cause irreversible damage to their properties.
- Surface damage: One of the most common types of damage caused by pressure washing is surface damage. This can occur when the pressure is set too high or when the wrong nozzle is used. Surface damage can include etching, pitting, and chipping of the surface being cleaned. This is even more so obvious when incorrectly cleaning relatively new concrete which still contains a smooth surface.
- Damage to paint: Pressure washing can also cause damage to paint, particularly if the pressure is too high or if the paint is already in poor condition. The high-pressure water can strip away paint, leaving the underlying surface exposed.
- Damage to windows and screens: If not done properly, pressure washing can also cause damage to windows and screens. The high-pressure water can cause the glass to crack or the screens to tear. Do not spray the wand at the windows as it can blow the window seals.
- Damage to landscaping: Pressure washing can also cause damage to landscaping, particularly if the pressure is too high. The high-pressure water can strip away soil and damage delicate plants, shrubs, and flowers.
- Damage to wooden surfaces: We can’t tell you how many times we’ve seen people who have gone to Home Depot, picked up a pressure washer, and attempted to clean their wooden decks. They incorrectly attempt to clean the wooden decks, leaving noticeably deep scars all over the place.
- Water damage: Improper use of pressure washing equipment can also cause water damage to buildings and other structures. Water can seep into cracks and crevices, causing damage to the interior of the building or structure. Putting towels under doors and openings is recommended to prevent excess water from entering around where you’re working.
- Injury: Improper handling of pressure washing equipment can also cause injury to the operator or anyone nearby. It’s important to use appropriate safety gear and follow proper procedures when using pressure washing equipment to prevent accidents.